Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 78 - Oreos and Carmel by the Sea

There are very few things in life that can improve the outlook on my day quicker than an Oreo cookie. Two chocolaty crispy delicious cookies surrounding a yummy creamy filling. Mmmmm good. I say this because I consumed a snack pack (6) of these cookies this afternoon. I didn't have time to pack a more nutritious snacks in my lunch bag and the desperate need for something with a quantity of sugar rivaling that of Mt. St. Helen's was important to keeping my job lest I fall asleep at my desk.

I believe the exhaustion I've been experiencing lately could very well be cured with a vacation.





I would like to requisition a few weeks of solitude at Carmel-By-The-Sea. I have a few places that I absolutely love to go and don't get to spend nearly enough time there. New York City tops the list, but number 2 is undoubtedly Carmel.

Carmel offers a lot of things to do that aren't necessarily hustle and bustle, but a truly relaxing time. Wine tastings, the many artist studios and galleries, the Carmel Roasting Company (excellent coffee), and shopping that doesn't include an outlet mall feel - real boutiques with amazing clothes, art, jewelry, hand-blown glass and more.

Sidenote: A quaint place to eat lunch is a little place called The Tuckbox. I had the BEST (and I do mean...) THE BEST Welsh Rarebit at the Tuckbox. (And now I'm getting hungry.) I haven't been back since 2007 and the food or the service may have changed since then, but the atmosphere is "English Quaint" and I was very pleased with the food. (Vacations are really about the food for me.) Finding Welsh Rarebit on the West Coast was quite the treat. Maybe that should be the mission - devote where we go on vacation by what is served? If that's the case and I want some Welsh Rarebit, there's a place in Brooklyn Heights - Brooklyn, NY that serves it called the Chip Shop...
129 Atlantic Avenue
At Henry St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 855-7775
I may have to try that out next time I'm up there... which I hope is really, really soon... after I gain some solitude and decompression from the hustles and bustles of life.

More later...

2 comments:

  1. I would suggest Chicago as a possible destination, but if you are looking for relaxation, this may not be the place for it. Or at least that's what you might infer from the bags under my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days I will have to get back up there when there is little chance of snow, cold or bad weather. :-) There are a few places I would love to see up there. Maybe one of these days I can make the trip and see my sweet great-nephew!

    ReplyDelete