Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Where the Wild Things Are

“And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!” 






My father was a gifted story-teller and I thank him for the many nights he read to me as a child. He did so of his own works and he read stories others had written as well. One night, he read me a book that inspired my love of fantasy and science fiction that I carry to this day. That book is "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. 


Maurice's book transcended generations of young children and their parents alike. He took away the boundary lines and gave us something that is oh so memorable.  You see, the way I look at it everyone has fears whether they are a child or not and those fears need to be addressed, not sugar-coated or pushed aside like they don't matter. I think Mr. Sendak agreed with me by something he once said. He said,  “. . .from their earliest years children live on familiar terms with disrupting emotions, fear and anxiety are an intrinsic part of their everyday lives, they continually cope with frustrations as best they can. And it is through fantasy that children achieve catharsis. It is the best means they have for taming Wild Things.”


This man wrote and illustrated more than 50 children's books. But the legacy of "Where the Wild Things Are" will live on for an eternity

At 83 years old, Maurice Sendak has written his final words. But I can't help but think that in 1964, he wrote how I'm feeling right now. 

“But the wild things cried, “Oh please don’t go - we’ll eat you up - we love you so!”

And Max said, “No!”
The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws but Max stepped into his private boat and waved goodbye.”
- Maurice Sendak- 

No comments:

Post a Comment