Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 14 - Saturday

This morning I got up, got ready for work and went. Ok... I have one Saturday a month where I actually do work for a few hours. I teach a curfew class at the police department. Basically the kids who were cited for breaking curfew AND their parents have to come in. If they take the class, the citation is dismissed - but it's ONLY for the first offense. After that, the kids can end up being fined up to $500 and the judges typically aren't very lenient. Amarillo is the only city in the state that has a class like this and I like to think it's effective. I haven't gone back to check on the status of repeat offenders, but one of these days I will.


I really can't say that I've done a lot today. I managed to work, do 4 loads of laundry (yes... 4 loads and have approximately 4 to go!!!!) and to clean the master bathroom, but nothing else really spectacular. I'm still not feeling quite up to snuff. I think; however, that resting is a good thing considering I probably need to. However, I have a small problem with every time I feel like crap, I have an urge to clean. Maybe it was the going through 6 operations in 7 years, but I doubt it. When I was a kid, the only time my bedroom was spic-and-span was when I was sick. Couldn't stand to be in a room that was dirty. Still can't when I'm sick. I've been known to clean the bedroom with a 102 degree fever. Can I blame Mommy Dearest for that?

Lower back / kidneys still hurting today. I'm really hoping this mess will be over soon. I go to the doctor Tuesday morning - AND - I'm taking the entire day off. Woot! Or Not. Apparently the tests are not so pleasant, which is really why I took the day off.

Life Lesson #14
“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” - Charles Swindoll-

I found this quote and really need to take it more to heart. There are times I don't and have a crummy attitude in spite of my circumstances. And the good Lord knows, there's already enough negativity and pessimism in the family to go around.

Health & Fitness #14 Tips for the day: 6 Ways to beat Breast Cancer (by CG)
1) Watch your weight. Every 11 pounds you gain as an adult increases your chance for postmenopausal breast cancer 3-5%
2) Eat right - Low in fat, red meat and refined sugar and high in fruits and veggies. Vitamin D may also play an important role, so make sure you get your fair share.
3) Get moving - 30 minutes of exercise three times a week is enough to reduce the risk
4) Go to bed earlier - Women who regularly sleep 6 or less hours a night are 62% more likely to develop breast cancer than those who get 7+ hours a night.
5) Kick the habit - smoking increases the risk by up to 30%
6) Think before you drink - Drinking even one glass of wine a day is linked to an increased risk for breast cancer - two drinks can up the tally by more than 20%

Food & Drink #14 After reading the previous list not admitting to anything.

Food tally for the day:
Breakfast:
Morning Snack:
Lunch:
Afternoon Snack:
Dinner:

Feeding the Spirit #14
“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

No comments:

Post a Comment