Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 62 - Ramblings About Time

Yesterday was eldest's 17th birthday. It's hard to believe how quickly 17 years goes by because it seems like it was just a few months ago. I can't say it "seems like yesterday" as many memories have faded into the nothing, but it definitely doesn't feel like it's approaching the two decade marker.

And side note, it just occurred to me that I'm just a couple of years out from my 25th high school reunion. Why is it when we are young that seems more than a lifetime away, but now that it's approaching, it feels not that long ago? My dad had a theory that the older we get, the faster time passes. I'm beginning to believe he was absolutely correct. I think this quickening of the passage of time is not so much in terms of absolute scientific principle, but in terms of mental status. I can't explain it really, but I do believe it exists. It's kind of like God, only with less BAM! I can't prove God exists, but I believe He is there all around us and He does things only He understands.

As far as diet and exercise have gone the past week, I have thought about it and that's a far as the process has gone. I've been trying to sort out this thing called life and my personal health has taken a back seat to trying to tame the mental animals running amuck in my head. There are really too many things going on lately and I haven't been sleeping well or anything else. Frustrating.

Time change is tonight. I hate this stupid, freakin', daylight savings time crap. (Speaking of not sleeping well lately.) I don't know why we still do it. It's not all that important to have daylight at 10pm. I seriously would be pleased if they would fix it. I found a quote that sums up my feelings rather nicely.
A writer in 1947 noted, "I don't really care how time is reckoned so long as there is some agreement about it, but I object to being told that I am saving daylight when my reason tells me that I am doing nothing of the kind. I even object to the implication that I am wasting something valuable if I stay in bed after the sun has risen. As an admirer of moonlight I resent the bossy insistence of those who want to reduce my time for enjoying it. At the back of the Daylight Saving scheme I detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy and wise in spite of themselves." (Robertson Davies, The Diary of Samuel Marchbanks, 1947, XIX, Sunday.)
Well, I think I need to get some real rest. Got to get up early (as it were) to take Maverick to the groomers for the summer shave. I know it's not summer, but he smells like dog. Love the boy, but dog smell is blah. Time to get him less canine and more fru-fru.... LOL!

Ciao Bella...

No comments:

Post a Comment