Friday, May 18, 2012

Hot Stuff

"Sittin' here, eatin' my heart out, waitin'
Waitin' for some lover to call
Dialed about a thousand numbers lately
Almost rang the phone off the wall

Lookin' for some hot stuff, baby, this evenin'
I need some hot stuff, baby, tonight
I want some hot stuff, baby, this evenin'

Gotta have some hot stuff
Gotta have some love tonight...."
- Donna Summer -
(12-31-1948 to 05-17-2012)


When I was a child, I went to a Catholic school in the heart of the Bible belt. It shouldn't be any wonder that the first time I got in trouble for my musical tastes was because of Donna Summer. I don't recall how many "Hail Mary's" I had to say, but I learned it probably wasn't in my best interest to go around singing "Hot Stuff" or "Bad Girls" in the halls of St. Joseph's.   

When I was in junior high, she released, "She Works Hard for the Money." Again, I was back in a Catholic School, but by this time the rules had relaxed and neither she nor the song were nearly as taboo as Madonna who had managed to piss off the Pope and the entire Catholic Church with "Like a Virgin" which was released the following year. Ahhh... how music takes me back to my youth. 

I remember fondly of listening to Donna Summer with my sister in her Ford Pinto  while cruising around drinking cherry limes from Mr. Burger and I thought that it was the coolest thing in the world. You know what... it was. I wouldn't trade that time for anything. 

Donna Summer left this world this week, but she left behind a legacy of some of the best dance music out there. Thanks Donna.... "beep, beep, uh, uh,...... beep, beep, uh, uh...."

1 comment:

  1. Donna Somer and Abba ("King Kong Song"!!!!) - those were great times......

    ReplyDelete