Friday, May 18, 2012

Pre-Graduation Panic & Mayhem

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." 
- Ralph Waldo Emerson - 


Yesterday, I thought the collective minds of my oldest daughter and myself were going to implode or explode - your choice. She had been working on a video presentation for the senior celebration at AACAL and the day of the celebration, it crashed. Then, to add insult to injury, 6 hours before the event, it decided to not only crash, but completely evaporate into the outer stratosphere. The whole thing - gone. Woosh! 

It was a lucky thing I had planned on coming home a little early to help with the crash. I ended up coming home a couple of hours earlier than that and started slamming together a PowerPoint presentation in an attempt to salvage what I could. For about 4 hours, I typed seniors' achievements, schools and all of that jazz. When Eldest got home from school - she started throwing in the pictures parents had provided. 

I apologize to the seniors who were inadvertently missed or forgotten. There was some information that had been e-mailed or texted late to Eldest and I wasn't privy to that information. I am very sorry if you were missed. It wasn't my intention, nor was it hers. I do hope that you understand that bad things happen to good computers. 

Today, Eldest is going through a similar-feeling situation with trying to get stuff together for another, bigger banquet. She had a few things thrown at her toward the last minute, though I think a little of this is procrastination combined with a HEAVY workload. I will just be happy if she gets it done and wears clothing to the festivities tonight.  

But all in all, I think Emerson's quote is rather fitting for the events of the past couple of days and in future days to come. It's those moments of panic when we have to dig deep and find out what we are truly made of. Some people cave under the pressure while others come out okay. I'm hoping Eldest is the later. After the celebration presentation last night, I told her, "It's over. There's nothing more you can do now. Just breathe and move on to the next thing." 

Isn't that what we all have to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment