Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Tidings

"Oh look, yet another Christmas TV special! How touching to have the meaning of Christmas brought to us by cola, fast food and beer.... Who'd have ever guessed that product consumption, popular entertainment and spirituality would mix so harmoniously?" 
~Bill Watterson - The Essential Calvin and Hobbes~



I'm sitting in my bedroom blogging this evening as my husband spends a few hours with his parents and his sister. Because my sister in law is going through some serious health issues of her own, I have been temporarilly banned from the house. Stupid flu. 

This has NOT been a "normal" family Christmas. Daughter #1 worked today and is now crumpled up in bed feeling crummy. Daughter #2 has taken some Christmas food to my mother and gone to see her boyfriend and his family. They are getting older and I'm reminded of how my parents must have felt as my sister and I moved on with our lives. It's bizarre and saddens me some. 

I was starkly reminded of the first Christmases Yoda and I spent together - days when we barely had a couple of dimes to rub together, not much else than that. Those were rough, but good days. Because of the move, cash is at a premium so we drew names for gifts. This was hard because as "mom" or "dad" you want to give your kids everything. This was the first year we had to really limit ourselves so Yoda would have gas money to get back to Dallas and some grocery and laundry money as well. The gifts we exchanged were small, but from the heart. I think this is the way it should be. Forget quantity... quality is a much better thing. 

(Sigh)

As I have been grounded today, I have spent some time working on my Smash Book. It's a non-traditional scrapbook by K&C Company that my daughters got me hooked on earlier this summer. I added a few things from a couple of my trips to New York City, San Francisco, Inn of the Mountain Gods, St. Louis, and Dallas, TX. (I think I've been a few places, eh?) If you are wanting something a little different for a scrapbook, but don't want to invest the time and energy in a full-blown big one, I highly recommend a Smash Book. Awesome stuff right there.  For me, each page is a reminder of how blessed I truly am. 

And speaking of blessings... I pray for you and yours a Merry Christmas filled with Christ's love, faith, hope and truth. (Whether you believe in Him or not.) 
I'll see you again on the flip side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment