Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 1

This adventure will be set up a little differently than most. I'm going to be talking about skills for life, fitness and health, parenting, feeding your spirit and a lot more. So lets head into it...

Today I set out to start making some changes. Frankly, I'm not thrilled with the way I've been living life and I figure I have 142 days to take care of business. 142 days from today is June 1st and for me is essentially the first day of summer (not the real one, but the one I consider to be it.) This is a good deadline to have new habits in place and enough time to break all the old ones.


Life Skill #1 Too often we get lazy and don't take care of the things around us that need to be done. Today's life skill is simple and shouldn't take too long. Clean out your purse or your wallet. I've been wanting to do that for some time and I kept putting it off. It took me about thirty minutes because I swapped out purses twice and wallets and finally figured out what bag I want to carry for the next little bit. This cleaning included getting rid of the excess change in my wallet - that will really weigh down a handbag. Now, I feel a little more organized and better about life.

Health and Fitness #1 Take a long, hot bath or shower. Sounds silly, but take the time to do something for you. Spend some extra time and shave your legs, wash your hair slowly and give your head a massage, deep condition and then when you are squeaky clean, moisturize. My favorite part of the process is a little something called "body butter." Quite yummy smelling and my skin loves me for it.

I actually opened the new workout DVD's today and watched them. I didn't participate, but I wanted to get a feel for what I am going to do. So the tip for now is prepare to move your body. Get your mind in order so that your body will follow.

Food and Drink #1 I hate diet plans that give you strict guidelines of what to do and not do, but when you've been living on pizza and ice-cream for quite awhile, the body (and mind) needs some acclimation, or at least mine does. So here's what I have had to eat today and if you want recipes, I'll post for you.


Morning: 3 cups of Yogi "Healthy Fasting Tea" with 2tsp of Sucanant in each cup.
I'm trying to wean myself off the little pink packages that have plagued my life and this seems like a good alternative as sucanant is derived from natural sugar cane and not refined which means it still has trace nutrients in it. It also does a pretty good job of not spiking my sugar /insulin response.

Lunch: Home-made Chunky Chicken Vegetable soup // 2 slices of cornbread with butter and for dessert home-made apple / oatmeal dessert.

This desert isn't too unhealthy. The total recipe has 2 tsp of sucanant and 1/4 cup of brown sugar for the topping. The rest includes apples, a pear, allspice and cinnamon, 2T of butter, oatmeal and 2T of flour.

Afternoon Snack: 2 more cups of the apple dessert.

Honestly, I have a sweet tooth a mile long and today it's been really hard not to grab the white chocolate bar that is sitting on my dresser in the bedroom.

Dinner: I tried to keep it light and had 1/2 a pear, a cheese stick and another cup and a half of tea. I have had plenty of water today and at the moment I'm okie dokie on the hunger scale. Hopefully this will hold out.


Finally, as this is a life-change that I'm looking for. I felt guilty because I missed church today and making the chicken soup was probably not the best excuse for it. So, I asked the Lord for a good verse in the Bible today and this is what He provided:

Romans 6:14 (New International Version, ©2010)
14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Day one down... 141 days to go. What have you done today to make a change for the better?

No comments:

Post a Comment