Saturday, March 19, 2011

One For All....


The family gets together fairly often for movie night. Tonight was such a night and after we dismissed more Tom Hanks movies than I realized I actually had, the mutual decision was made to watch the Three Musketeers.

This version of the film was made in 1993 and it's still one of my favorites. Charlie Sheen (strangely enough) received top bill. Keifer Sutherland, Chris O'Donnell and Oliver Platt along with Tim Curry and Rebecca De Mornay are also in it. The movie does not follow Dumas' work to the letter, the "accents" are pretty abhorrent (O'Donnell can't even pronounce his own name.) And last but not least there are a lot of continuity errors in the film. So why is it one of my favorites?
* Dialogue - witty
* Comedic timing
* Action and Pacing
* Musical score
* The acting / script is good enough that I can overlook the flaws.

When I watch this movie, time flies because even though I know what's coming it's (for me) a perfect mix of action / adventure, romance and sarcasm. If you haven't seen it, it's a pretty jolly romp if you keep your expectations realistic. In fact, I think I may have to watch it again.

The idea of the three musketeers is interesting to me - as is the musketeer in general. To me, they are the cops or the secret service of the day. Their job is to protect the king, the queen, the country and each other. Maybe in a way, we are all musketeers.

"This world is an uncertain realm, filled with danger. Honor underminded by the pursuit of power, freedom sacrificed when the weak are oppressed by the strong. But there are those who oppose these powerful forces, who dedicate their lives to truth, honor, and freedom. These men are known as Musketeers."

No comments:

Post a Comment