Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 8 - It's all about the "New"

"How can you do anything until you have seen everything,or as much as you can?" — Rudyard Kipling

I love this quote because it always inspires me to get out and do something or to hear something or to see something. I'm still not quite feeling up to snuff today; however, the goal for the day is to do or see something I haven't done or seen before. It's quite the challenge, but I think like yesterday, the key will be in the little things, not the big things. However, if someone wants to rent me a room at the Bellagio in Vegas, I haven't seen or done that. (Just a suggestion mind you.)

I did try something new already today and I'm not going to count that as my "new" thing. Quinoa for breakfast. I had a package of white quinoa in the pantry. I bought it because there's a whole bunch of health / nutrition sites that tout it's marvelousity. I can say that I'm not a fan at this point and I think I'll just stick with good old-fashioned oatmeal. It's got kind of a nutty flavor that's not bad, but it definitely required other things to make it edible. I ate mine with some vanilla, all-spice and agave nectar. The recipe had called for berries, which I didn't have. It also called for nuts such as pecans, walnuts or almonds. I chose not to put them in because they are so high in fat. Maybe either of those would have made it better, I don't know. I do know I'm not eating this concoction again. I choked down half a cup cooked. That's enough. I had one of the oatmeal cookies I ate yesterday to get the taste out of my mouth. I find that to be a great decision.

Life Lesson #8
"The biggest mistake people make in life is not trying to make a living at doing what they most enjoy." — Malcolm Forbes

This has been kind of an on-going struggle at our little yellow house. Kyle and I were discussing this yesterday. I can honestly say I have done a lot of things I enjoy and probably have had more different jobs than anyone else. The years of being a disc-jockey, roadie-ing for some bands, working at the TV station, being a reporter, running an advertising agency, being a PD Dispatcher (to name but a few)... all things that I enjoyed. However, I have to admit that I always wanted to be two other things #!) a writer and #2) a cop. I figure I'm meeting the writing goal with the blog and while I don't carry a badge and a gun, I'm an investigator with the PD and that's pretty awesome. I could end up making my living writing, certainly not in the present, but maybe someday and I'm enjoying the daylights out of my job now - helping to hunt down the missing children. It's a reward all it's own and I like to think I'm making a difference.

Unlike me, Kyle has done pretty much the same thing for the past 20 years. God has given him a gift to be able to do the amazing post-production that he does. I have to admire that kind of tenacity.



Health & Fitness #8 "Any healthy man can go without food for two days--but not without poetry." — Baudelaire

Like I stated earlier, I have always wanted to be a writer. It occurred to me however that I always HAVE been a writer. I've kept a journal since I was seven years old. I have written news articles and started novels (which at some point I'll be able to focus and finish) and written more poems than I know what to do with. In fact, it's the poetry that I love. Being able to bend a word to your will is a pretty incredible feeling. One of these days I'll have to share, but for now my insecurities shall remain.

Food & Drink #8 I may let this part of my "new" blog go, but for now all I'm going to write is "quinoa sucks."

Food tally for the day:
Breakfast: Quinoa w/all-spice, vanilla and agave nectar and an oatmeal cookie chaser
Morning Snack: Apple and a cheese stick
Lunch: Tilapia, veggies and salad
Afternoon Snack: TBA
Dinner: TBA

Feeding the Spirit #8
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about." — Henry Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment